Thursday 24 April 2014

Ember of Light


I walk the lonely stairs.
Right to the top.
I look around.
No one.
Not a soul.
Empty darkness...
Just like me.
I sit on the concrete ledge,
Smoothened by paint and P.O.P.
The stark white
Blinds me.
I like the dark.
It’s been home
For 3 years,
While my parents
Busy with their lives
Told me the whats and hows
Of life. My life.
I was a slave.
Their slave.
I lived not for me
But them.
Them, Oblivion’s children.
My sister,
The sheep
Amidst all the bitterness
Was my only hope.
The only ember of light
In my darkness.
I lived only to see her smile,
Her sleeping face
Every morning, angelic,
Lying amidst
Soft thick blankets
Which smelled of strawberry jam
Or chocolate cake,
Whichever she’d eaten,
With hints of hair oil.
Until two months ago
When Death’s arms embraced her.

Today I stand
Surrounded by white
Disturbed by the brown of a ladder.
And a rope,
Rough and knotted,
Thick as my arm.
Its braids within a braid
Remind me of my sister’s life
Within mine.
How we were intertwined,
Until the fatal day.

I look below.
Happy people, moving on
With their lives.
Is the jump worth it?
I step onto the flat edge
Of the low wall.
Nothing above.
Nothing below.
It feels rough on my feet
The edge,
Like my parents have been
On me.

I stare out
Waiting for Death
A friend from the dark.
A double tap on my shoulder
Turns me around.
No one, but wait...
My sister’s face in the wall.
White, pale, sad.
A hallucination
Or a sign?
I step down,
Off the ledge
Back on solid ground.
A salty tear
Escapes my eye
And into my mouth.
There’s too much to live for.
Today, …today I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment