Saturday 18 January 2014

Julius Caesar Retold

I wrote this in the 10th grade, so please excuse it's lameness...
In case you haven't read the actual story, written by William Shakespeare, you can read it here:  http://www.literaturepage.com/read/shakespeare_juliuscaesar.html


I present to you

My 10th Grade take on Julius Caesar

Characters:
Julius Caesar - Ruler of the Roman Empire
Calpurnia - Caesar's wife
Soothsayer
(Marcus) Brutus - Caesar's good friend (senator)
Cassius - Conspirator (senator)
Mark Antony - Loyal friend to Caesar (orator)
Octavius Caesar - Caesar's nephew and adopted son
Pompey's Ghost

Other senators/conspirators:
Trebonius
Decius (Brutus)
Casca
Cinna
(Metallus) Cimber


Scene 1:

Cassius and Brutus are walking in the market place. Cassius is brainwashing Brutus into joining a conspiracy he has hatched. They see Caesar enter the market place with Mark Antony.

Previously that day, in the market place, a soothsayer had come up to Caesar and said "Beware! The Ides of March! The Ides of March!"
Caesar had ignored him and walked on.


Scene 2:

At Brutus' home, the senators conspire and plan their murder. They decide to let Mark Antony go, unharmed.


Scene 3:

The great day arrives. But Calpurnia is begging Caesar not to go to the senate house. She had been crying 'Caesar will die!' in her sleep. Her nightmares were reflected by this, as they showed a statue of Caesar, bleeding.

Calpurnia: Lord, please, please, don't go. Do not leave the safety of the house. I fear something terrible is to happen today.
Caesar: You need not worry. For when Caesar enters, all fears vanish and all evil flees. Fear itself fears Caesar.
Calpurnia: Caesar, please -
Caesar: None of that Calpurnia, but for your sake I'll stay.

<At that moment, the senators arrive, all smiles, to take him to the senate house.>

Trebonius: Come Caesar. Leave Calpurnia's dreams alone. They mean good anyway. Romans bathing in your blood to bring themselves good fortune. Nothing like it!
Caesar: I must say, I never saw it like that... Fine I'll come with you. [It's time to party!!! :P] Let us wine and dine in my honor.

<Caesar goes with them to the senate house>

Outside the house... Caesar meets the soothsayer.

Caesar (smugly): The Ides of March have come.
Soothsayer: Aye, they have come, but not gone...

Caesar enters the senate.
Cimber begs for the release of his banished brother. Caesar refuses.
The other senators request for the same.
Caesar refuses.
And then...

Casca: Speak, hands, for me!!! <stab or...>

Caesar moves to the side, grabs his hidden sword and parries.
He moves back. All the senators are closing in on him. All, that is, except for Brutus. He is thunderstruck and sort of paralyzed.
Caesar reaches the foot of the statue of Pompey. He looks up for a second and looks back at the senators.
He leaves a blow on Casca, saying, "First you, since you attempted first!"
Next he beheads Cinna and Cimber, muttering, "You are next, alphabetically!"
After that came Decius, dueling and speaking, "I wish I could spare you since you share Brutus' name but you both are in it together so..." And he lopped off Decius' head.
Trebonius rushed forward crying out "You shall pay -"
But stopped as he saw the sword pierce through his heart.
"I have paid,...through your blood." Caesar replied.

"Cassius, where are you?" called Caesar; for as the sword fighting had begun (as much as you could call it a fight), Cassius had slipped off into the shadows.
But no one could hide for long from Caesar's all-seeing eyes and he too was killed and dragged to the foot of Pompey's statue.
"Six down, one to go." muttered Caesar, and he looked up to see Pompey's ghost sitting on the statue's shoulder.

Pompey: Good moves. But really, is this all for me?
Caesar: If you want it, it's yours. Your revenge-seeking mind and bodiless soul is no match for me.
Pompey: You do realize that one other is left. And he will hold up a good fight against you.
Caesar: No one can defeat me. And he is one of my friends. Why should he harm me?
Pompey: Weren't they your friends too?
Caesar: Friends, by name.
Pompey: You also do realize that their ghosts too will haunt you, just as I do. And the fact that this event will go on with the ages.
Caesar: The future is not in my hands. But the present is... Now I will leave you and let me be.

He looks back down, his neck sore from looking up for so long. His eyes meet the gaze of Brutus'.

Caesar: Ah Brutus! Come my friend.

He realizes Brutus is looking down at the bodies and the bloody sword in his hand.

Caesar: Think not of this. I will tell you what happened. You see, as Casca came upon me, I had to block it. You know Rome needs me. But they ended up killing themselves as I dodged around. You do know they are terrible at this sport. Then Cassius rushed towards me, but he slipped on the blood and was killed by this very sword. Now, you must be thinking I did all this, but I did not, I assure you.
Brutus: No. I am actually grateful to you and am amazed you found out about our evil. I am curious. How did you know?
Caesar: Caesar knows all! Besides that, I have my ways and my people are loyal to me. Just as you are. Come let me embrace you and your loyalty.
Brutus: Yes. You are like a father to me.

They embrace. Suddenly...

Caesar: Aaaaarghhh! Et tu, Brute!?!

Brutus holds his lifeless body at the foot of Pompey's statue.

Brutus: Oh no! Father! I mean, Caesar!

Just then Mark Antony enters and sees the 'blood-lake' and Brutus holding Caesar and all the dead bodies lying in the middle. He blinks in awe and draws his sword.

Mark Antony: Can you explain yourself? <Inching closer>
Brutus: Now let me explain... <moving back>
Mark Antony: <Suddenly stops> Oh wait!... Do I have your permission to speak in the pulpit?
Brutus: Speak in the pulpit?!?! Of course you do!
Mark Antony: Sign here with your blood. <He takes out a piece of parchment and hands it to Brutus. Brutus cuts his finger and makes a thumbprint> You are now bound to this and this is proof that you have given me permission. I will speak no ill of you, and will not tell anyone the truth. Neither will I praise Caesar. <And he raises his sword>
Brutus (puzzled): Um...OK.

The last thing he felt was pain at his neck.

Mark Antony: Now it is my turn to rule! Oh yeah!


Scene 4:

Mark Antony then decides to drag all the bodies with him to the pulpit. By the time he drags all of them, it is the next day morning. People gather around to see the chaos and dead bodies arranged in a straight line.

(Mark Antony's Speech... When Mark Antony says 'honorable men', he points towards the dead senators, and to Caesar when referring to Caesar.
A link to Mark Antony' speech: http://www.literaturepage.com/read/shakespeare_juliuscaesar-44.html
Warning: It's quite long...)

There is civil unrest amongst the people, and rumors to take revenge on dead bodies spread.


Scene 5:

Mark Antony and Octavius Caesar and another guy Lepidus form the triumvirate.

[No revenge, which is sad, really... or was it already taken...]



The End

No comments:

Post a Comment